Friday, January 23, 2009

Lecture 2 Reflections

Since the three learning theories will be discussed in the assignment, I will not mention these in this entry, but share a short and informal summary of my learning experience in Lecture 2.

When I was reading the three transcriptions (by Dr Wortham) the day before the lecture, I thought that the sentences did not make much sense at all. I had a hard time trying to decipher the seemingly "bad" English in the readings. However, it turned out that Prof Low played the videos of Dr Wortham's discussions during the lecture! I know I can't say this without sounding fake, but I really enjoyed learning the theories through watching the videos. Dr Wortham's words from the transcriptions started making sense to me and I was really thrilled (LOL).

I really appreciate the style of teaching here: First by showing the students a video (which probably contain similar attributes of watching a movie), then with Prof Low summing up the characteristics of each theory in powerpoint. For me, I like to first grasp the gist of things before plunging into the deeper end of the pool. I think the use of various media (videos, sound, animation etc) to deliver educational content also adds value to the lectures. All in all, I enjoyed the lecture. Like many others, I was rather overwhelmed during the first lecture because of the necessity for the students to provide their output immediately after learning. But the second lecture was great for me.

The other highlight of the day was the handing out of twisties (LOL). I was shocked (and also touched) that there are lecturers who do such welfare-related things for their students. So thank you, Prof Low (:

No comments:

Post a Comment